New epic fantasy in the grand tradition—including a never-before-published Song of Ice and Fire story by George R. R. Martin!
Fantasy fiction has produced some of the most unforgettable heroes ever conjured onto the page: Robert E. Howard’s Conan the Barbarian, Michael Moorcock’s Elric of Melniboné, Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Classic characters like these made sword and sorcery a storytelling sensation, a cornerstone of fantasy fiction—and an inspiration for a new generation of writers, spinning their own outsize tales of magic and swashbuckling adventure.
Now, in The Book of Swords, acclaimed editor and bestselling author Gardner Dozois presents an all-new anthology of original epic tales by a stellar cast of award-winning modern masters—many of them set in their authors’ best-loved worlds. Join today’s finest tellers of fantastic tales, including George R. R. Martin, K. J. Parker, Robin Hobb, Ken Liu, C. J. Cherryh, Daniel Abraham, Lavie Tidhar, Ellen Kushner, and more on action-packed journeys into the outer realms of dark enchantment and intrepid derring-do, featuring a stunning assortment of fearless swordsmen and warrior women who face down danger and death at every turn with courage, cunning, and cold steel.
FEATURING SIXTEEN ALL-NEW STORIES:
- “The Best Man Wins” by K. J. Parker
- “Her Father’s Sword” by Robin Hobb
- “The Hidden Girl” by Ken Liu
- “The Sword of Destiny” by Matthew Hughes
- “‘I Am a Handsome Man,’ Said Apollo Crow” by Kate Elliott
- “The Triumph of Virtue” by Walter Jon Williams
- “The Mocking Tower” by Daniel Abraham
- “Hrunting” by C. J. Cherryh
- “A Long, Cold Trail” by Garth Nix
- “When I Was a Highwayman” by Ellen Kushner
- “The Smoke of Gold Is Glory” by Scott Lynch
- “The Colgrid Conundrum” by Rich Larson
- “The King’s Evil” by Elizabeth Bear
- “Waterfalling” by Lavie Tidhar
- “The Sword Tyraste” by Cecelia Holland
- “The Sons of the Dragon” by George R. R. Martin
And an introduction by Gardner Dozois
Note: Robin Hobb is signing these copies!